Almost 100 years of singing
Maldon Choral can trace its foundations back to the 1920's, when a group of Welsh miners migrated to Maldon in search of work. With their traditional love of singing a male voice choir was formed in 1926. In 1933 a ladies choir was formed under the leadership of Mr Reg Gilbert, this choir was called the Maldon Ladies SX Choir and after several individual successful concerts the two choirs combined in 1935 and became the Maldon SX Choir, with Mr Gilbert as their conductor.
After a three year break during the war, the choir continued to grow and flourish. In 1973 it was decided to join forces with the Tolleshunt d'Arcy Singers and so we became the Maldon Choral Society. Throughout the years we have always been fortunate to have talented conductors to teach and lead us and have many successful concerts to look back on. The concerts are often, but not always held in Maldon, although we do travel further afield to other Essex towns. In 1991 we entertained a Dutch choir called Zang Veredelt and in 1992 a group of choir members travelled to Richelieu in the Loire Valley to sing in two concerts,. This was followed in 1994 with a visit by the choir to Maldon's twinned town Cuijk in Holland, and also to join again with Zang Veredelt to perform concerts .
We continue to learn and strive to perform to a high standard and our broad repertoire suits a range of tastes, from Handel's Messiah to Gilbert & Sullivan's fun-loving operettas, from Bach to The Beatles. And, we like to involve youngsters singing with the choir by participating in joint concerts particularly at the Christmas Carol Concert in Maldon town.